Tuesday, August 24, 2004

...credits earned vs. competition...

Ahh…so many of my friends now have blogs. Soon, I will figure out how to get their links on here so you can view them, too (as if anyone besides my friends reads my stuff, right?).

On to today’s topic: competition. Remember in kindergarten when you would have races at recess and all that good stuff? It was fun. It was as a competition should be – friendly. Before I continue, let me make a statement…

I myself do not make a competition out of anything. Many would claim that I do, and that’s their claim to make, but the fact is I don’t play that game. Yes, I am proud of my strength increase. Yes, I like to mosh, spar, sword-fight, wrestle around; basically, I like to cut loose sometimes. Do I think I’m the strongest of all of my friends, completely unbeatable, and the baddest of the bad? No, I do not, sir. I think I am strong, which is a fact that has been proven and documented, and I think my strength is above that of an average person; I think that in a fight with someone of high strength, for example Dave or Corey, I would be able to hold my own at least for a little while, maybe even win it if I can get lucky. Have I stated publicly that I am stronger than my good friend, Beaver? Yes, I have; but Dan and I have agreed on that, as have others. Beaver has qualities and skills that I do not, in which he kicks my ass, such as math and paintball. Basically, I only give myself the credit that I have earned, nothing more. It’s not like I’m invincible or anything. Call bullshit on me if you wish, but give me an example that proves me wrong if you’re going to do so.

I notice the patterns of “I was first in this…I’m the door-opener…look at MY girl, don’t you want her?…I’m better than you…I know more about blah blah” in our circle, and it’s hilarious to me. Everyone wants to stake a claim to fame. What people who do this don’t realize is, they already have things they are famous for, that they get credit for every day. I will give examples: Scott is infamous for his humor and love of things demonic, and for being a damn fine salesman. Dave is famous for gaming, and being THE most hardcore guy around. Hizzy is known for the whole metal music thing. Beaver’s knack is for paintball. Corey is known for his sometimes-unbelievable strength and resiliency against damage. (Note: These people are not necessarily the people I was referring to at the beginning of this paragraph. Isn’t funny how carefully one has to cover their ass?)

Point is, we’re all “famous” for things, and we’re all good at different things. Life is not a competition. Marriage, strength, knowing more about a certain type of music, which music is good and which is bad, being the founder of a trend…they really aren’t a competition. Embrace what YOU are good at, and give the proper respect to those who are good at other things. Life will be easier and more fun.

And, on a closing note: I am well aware that I go on and on about the whole strength thing here, and that my journal is nothing particularly deep and philisophical. However, that doesn't make mine a "lesser" or "lower quality" journal. Claiming such a thing would imply that one thinks what they have to say and think about is of more value than another person, and this would be very, very egotistical and ego-centric. Right, Hizzy? (Huh? Steve digs BACK?? Surprise, surprise...)

Also, becoming a parent does NOT put you in a higher maturity bracket. I can name a few parents I know who aren't any more adult than high-schoolers.

2 Comments:

Blogger Scott said...

I understand what you mean. I've been of this myself, but I try not to keep to that train of thought.

10:47 AM  
Blogger Scott said...

Also, if you need help posting links, I can help you with that.

10:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Quilled BONUS Quote:

The Quilled Matrix