Monday, February 14, 2005

Happy Valentine's Day

Happy Valentine’s Day, everyone!

Heather’s already got several gifts from me, which include three movies, a key chain with her birthstone, a little valentine glass bear, and some candy. Tonight, she gets her two big gifts.

@Heather: Happy Valentine’s Day to the best wife ever.

Dan’s comic strip (click HERE) is completely awesome. I’m really enjoying it, and from the ideas I’ve heard from him coming up in the next few strips, it’s going to get even better. If you haven’t checked it out, shame on you. Go check it out. Now. :)

This coming Saturday, Heather and I are going to have a bunch of people over. It’s going to be BYOB (bring your own beverage), and we’re going to try to get everyone there (sans a few). The game plan is to play games, watch a movie (if everyone wants to do that), or maybe just put on music and talk. We’re not calling it a “party” per say, but in essence that’s what it is. Let’s just call it a “gathering” anyway.

The savings account is growing. Everything is going according to plan, and if all goes well, as I’m sure it most definitely will, Heather and I will be trading the apartment living for the home owning in 2006!

As I posted earlier, Corey’s surgery went well and he’s on the road to recovery. We [Heather and I] visited him on Friday night…with the Dimitros.

Wait a tick…the Dimitros? Yes. Heather and Mandy are friends, and I’m getting tired of carrying more and more animosity with me on my back. It’s a load I don’t like bearing. Plus, Joe did go away to war to fight in freedom’s name, even if the reasons he was sent were less than moral and just.

As those of you who visited Corey in the hospital know, it is quite a gross surgery they did. He has a large slit going from his sternum to just above his…yeah. He has chemotherapy to look forward to still, so this is just one of many hurdles in this fight for him. I’m just glad he’s okay. Corey and I, we’ve had our differences of opinion at certain times, but he’s always been there for me regardless, and vice versa.

@Corey: I’m glad you’re still with us, man. You’re my brother, my friend, and my Boner King, and I love ya. That sounds wrong, but fuck it, the bastard is one of my best friends. Don’t look at me…

And now, to address this Beaver “situation”…

*EDIT* I'm not dwelling on this issue, contrary to what SOME people are thinking. There have just been some questions and misconceptions about all of this, and I'm clearing the air once and for all. (Sorry Beaver - I don't sweat you and you don't take up my time like that. News flash: You. Are. Not. Important.)

What I did, I did with good reason. My wife was wrongfully attacked with the one thing, out of all things, that she’s ultimately sensitive towards. It doesn’t matter that it was said in a “private” conversation; it was still said, and it was completely uncalled for and unnecessary to go there. Corey told me because he felt I had a right to know; he was personally offended by it, and anyone who KNOWS Corey, even a little bit, knows that Corey is not the kind of person to tell anyone anything that’s being said. He was being a loyal friend to not only myself, but to Heather, and I gratefully thank him for that. The whole thing about whether Corey was right or wrong in telling me something Beaver told him in private is a completely separate issue; it doesn’t have anything to do with this issue, except by association. It doesn’t effect or change anything, and is a hypothetical defense at the very best.

Even I, in all of my joking, avoid going places that are oh-so-obviously over the line. Joking is one thing; even making a joke that you didn’t realize was over the line and then having to grovel for forgiveness is understandable, to a point. However, when you resort to low blows and cheap-shots just for the sake of being pissed, that’s a problem; especially when you’re already skating on thin ice for repeated offenses, and then break a promise not to do it again.

For those who are confused, here’s the deal: I’m not mad or upset that Dan [Beaver] has a problem with me. I’m not even mad that he has a problem with Heather commenting on our arguments on the ‘blogs (I’ll get to that in a second). Here’s what I’m mad about – he went where he shouldn’t have gone in regards to Heather. Heather NEVER did anything to deserve it. I don’t know exactly WHY he went there, but it’s a moot point (i.e. I don’t care; it doesn’t matter). Even if I did know why, it wouldn’t serve to exempt him. (When I acknowledge something as being “wrong” and “out of line”, you HAVE to know it is, because I have a reputation for saying smarmy and insulting things.)

Yes, everybody vents. But again, when you choose to vent certain things, you must be careful with whom you say it to, and think before you speak. Just because other people get away with saying “wrong” things about others on a daily basis doesn’t mean I’m going to “drop it” in light of that fact. Again, a hypothetical defense at the very best, that doesn’t really change anything.

I don’t cast aside my friendships easily. To me, my friends are like surrogate family; it’s the main reason that my animosities with Joe D. and Erich have been such an inner struggle for me. I value my friends and my friendships, and ONLY do something like this if I’m stabbed BADLY in the back – and unduly attacking Heather is one of the worst things one could do in regards to me, and most definitely a backstab. She’s my wife, she’s beautiful, and I love her; and I will NOT tolerate that for any reason.

Am I being unfair? No. Not at all. In fact, I was overly fair, fairer than anyone in LIFE could ever deserve. I had every right to do the honor-defending thing and resort to dishing out a massively violent beating. Make NO mistake; there is only ONE winner in that fight, and it is NOT Beaver. Hell, I didn’t even bitch him out. Both the beating and the bitch-out were no less than he deserved. He got off easy, even now. Instead, I did the mature thing; I cut my losses and said goodbye. I even went so far as to talk calmly and as an adult, on the off chance that he would be genuinely sorry for what he said. No dice.

If this were an isolated incident, I would STILL be pissed as hell, but I wouldn’t have dropped the friendship so casually. This is the apex of a long series of disrespectful actions and words that just keep happening; a string of otherwise unrelated incidents that all follow the same theme, if you will. And I’ve finally had my fill.

I’ve been there for Dan in the past. I’ve stood by him when others wouldn’t. I’ve made mistakes and I’ve apologized for them. Oh sure, I picked on him and messed with him a bit, but so did every other person in our group; that’s like singling out one thief out of twenty of them. In light of a nearly decade-long friendship, I feel that, of all things, I deserve just a LITTLE more respect than that, as does Heather.

So there you have it, the story in its entirety. I am posting about this because there seems to be some question about the “fairness” of my decision to drop the friendship, and I wanted to make my reasoning clear as crystal.

About the ‘blog arguments; last week, I posted a rather lengthy rant about holding your tongue versus speaking your true thoughts. This kind of goes along with that, and it’s related to the Beaver thing…

It’s very true that I posted in my ‘blog that certain arguments should remain between two people, and I firmly believe that. However, I can’t control what other people do. Just a side note, I have gotten pissed at Heather for posting things on ‘blogs before, including mine, that put her in the midst of my arguments. I don’t generally like having my battles fought for me. Beaver’s main problem with Heather seems to be that he doesn’t like it when he and I are getting into it, and then she chimes in on my defense. Well, that’s valid. However…

There have been several instances where Hizzy or Nix have chimed in on Beaver’s behalf, playing devil’s advocate or straight-up going to the mat for him, and he had no problem there. Ask yourselves this question: How is it okay for someone to speak their mind on Dan’s behalf, but then it’s not okay for Heather to say something on MY behalf? I personally think that’s biased, hypocritical, and unfair. I don’t see derogatory things being said about Hizzy for “getting into our business”. And FYI – no, it’s NOT different because Heather is my wife; it’s still a third person getting into what’s being claimed as a two-way argument, be it a wife or a friend, which is the main argument being made. (And just on a side note: I can recall an instance where someone’s own MOTHER called my house and bitched out Heather, who actually took Beaver’s side on the issue. That debunks the whole “it’s different because it’s your wife” defense right there. It’s so damn funny how that works, isn’t it?)

Sorry for the drama there. Some things needed to be set straight.

Meatloaf is progressing at a good pace – or at least a much faster pace than standing completely still. I managed to keep the ONE scene I created for the original “Attack of the Killer Meatloaf” project, as I was the creator and reserve the right to do so. I’m a reed in the wind with everything else on this movie, in part out of gratitude for Nix’s vision and dedication to my opus, so it’s justifiable that I keep that original scene unhampered and intact.

-------------------------------------------------------
Quilled Tunes: “American Idiot” – Green Day

Quote of the Blog: “There is nothing on this earth more to be prized than true friendship.” – Saint Thomas Aquinas

-------------------------------------------------------
And now, the TRUTH comes out…

Seems like Bush’s administration had LOADS of warning about the 9/11 attacks:
  • Memo: Clarke Warned Rice on Al Qaeda in January, 2001

  • '01 Memo to Rice Warned of al-Qaeda and Offered Plan

  • Bush cuts funding from programs that benefit YOU so he can benefit his OWN agenda:
  • Bush Budget Chops 154 Programs

  • Ready to go to war? You might not have much of a choice:
  • The Return of the Draft

  • Ungrateful for being ‘liberated’? Perhaps not:
  • Getting the Purple Finger

  • Power of the people:
  • Bloggers Force CNN's Jordan to Resign

  • If you’re wanting to come to the ‘land of opportunity’, Bush and the GOP is working hard to STOP you:
  • Lady Liberty Under Attack

  • The GOP and the Bush Administration: working to protect big business from being rightfully sued by the hard-working citizens they hurt:
  • Senate Passes Limit on Class-Action Lawsuits

  • So you say Democrats work against the rich, eh? The GOP and Bush work fully against the middle- and lower-class:
  • Bush’s Class-War Budget

  • Let’s end this round on a HAPPY note, shall we?
  • Dean Vows to Lead Democrats Back to Power
  • 0 Comments:

    Post a Comment

    << Home

    Quilled BONUS Quote:

    The Quilled Matrix