Thursday, November 04, 2004

...my voice continues & why...

Yesterday, I harbored a lot of anger and hatred towards those that gave re-election to Bush. In a very large way, I still do. But I must not let this divide relationships, friendships, and family from my life. In the increasingly-wise words of a man I personally consider MY president:

“Earlier today, I spoke to President Bush, and I offered him and Laura our congratulations on their victory. We had a good conversation and we talked about the danger of division in our country and the need – the desperate need – for unity, for finding the common ground, coming together. Today, I hope that we can begin the healing.”

I agree with this. I agree that Bush and Kerry supporters alike must now, somehow, band together and survive the next four years. I still mean every word I said yesterday: every fault claim, every ‘fuck you’. I will not take those back. However, the only thing to do now, for all of us, is keep on keeping on. As I said, ‘you’ll see’…history will show that this was the wrong choice. Bush will be consistent in his actions and his legacy will be carved in solid stone, and the country, and the world, will know – not think, but KNOW – that he was, and is, a terrible leader.

I realized in this election that I had a strong voice, which I was able to use to argue in favor of Kerry on forums and chat boards and influence things. I was able to turn people around, not for myself, but for the good of all of us. For the first time in my life, I got behind a cause and pushed with every ounce of breath in my body, and despite the fact that it did not turn the tide I did make a dent. My voice was heard. My voice was strong. Sometimes my voice was annoying. But I nonetheless was able to make a difference.

To Bush, and all the Bush voters: the presidency has been conceded to you. But that is all you have gained. You have not gained the position of being “right.” As I still hold breath in my lungs, you have not won that position.

Yes, I beat the dead horse at this point. I beat it because I believe in rights for gays and for abortions. I believe in jobs, healthcare, for my friends, for the people, for America. I beat it because I believe in the power that one person can have in the long run. Bush has, somehow, remained in our service as president, and as one of his many employers I take the position that if he works for America, he will do what we tell him to do for us. He will listen to the gays; he will listen to the women who want the right for abortion; he will listen to the throes that cry out for jobs and healthcare; so help me God he will listen to me, to you, to every single citizen in this country – because that’s what he was hired to do by 51% of us. It’s his job, and it is not unfair or questionable that we ask him to act in OUR best interest. He will listen, or I – WE – will scream until he does.

*********************************************

Last night was guy’s night. For most of the night, it was just Scott, Joe, and I. Corey never showed, and I don’t know if Dave showed up later in the night after I left. T-Bob showed up around 11 or so, driven by Andrea. Andrea stuck around…which normally wouldn’t be a problem, except that it was a guy’s night. Something like this could get me in trouble with Heather, so I’m saying this now:

@Heather: I didn’t get a chance to tell you last night, or this morning, but Andrea was there last night. I’m going to tell you when I get home, so don’t worry.

I wasn’t exactly thrilled with it, but what can I do, it wasn’t my place, ya know? To her credit, she apologized several times for sticking around, which I appreciated…but if it’s a guy’s night, and you’re a girl, and you acknowledge that you shouldn’t be sticking around and you stick around anyway…well, I’m just saying there’s something fucked up there. Seriously. I’m not pissed about it; so don’t take it that way.

The Fear Factory concert is closer. I have post-election aggression to work off, so a mosh-pit is just what the doctor ordered at this point. I shall pretend everyone in the pit is Bush…:)

Quilled Tunes:
“Reach For The Sky” – Social Distortion
“Look What You’ve Done” - Jet

Quote of the Blog: “Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master.” – George Washington

6 Comments:

Blogger NixEclips said...

1) 4 more years of nightmares: You speak well and even though some would have rather you shut up, you did what was right. *hugs and cries for the death of democracy*

2) Guys night: I just want to clear myself of any blame. It was agreed that I would be dropped off. Nothing more than that. She wasn't even going to come in. Joe invited her in and offered to let her stay.
And, no. Dave never showed.

10:39 AM  
Blogger Quilled One said...

Guy's night: I like guy's night. But, it's not like I'm pissed off, or even seriously miffed at the fact that Andrea stuck around. However, you know how it goes...I told Heather it was a guy's thing, and then Andrea was there...so I was forced to explain myself both on here and when I get home, lest Heather be miffed herself.

11:06 AM  
Blogger NixEclips said...

Let's all beat the shit out of Joe and Hizz.

Nix says: I'm up for a bit of violence.

12:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well Steve, could you make me seem any more controlling. The only reason i would have a problem at any guys nights is because while you are having your "guys night" i am told by you that i am not allowed to be anywhere near. So i stay at home bored and alone while you are out having a good time and then to find out that a female was there does piss me off.

But please dont go around telling people that you will get in trouble from me if something happens. you make me seem like an awful person. Yeah i do get pissed about a lot of things. But so do you. We are both still learing the whole married life thing. I dont want people to think i am some terrible person and a terrible wife.

Heather

2:17 PM  
Blogger Quilled One said...

You're right, babe. All who read this blog, Heather is not controlling. What she describes above is the deal. For real. That's why I say "I don't wanna get in trouble" because I do tell Heather it's a guys only deal and she naturally gets miffed if there turns out to be a girl around. I was just saying.

I love you, Heather. I'm so very, very glad that you and I communicate like that, ya know? Everything is nice and fair, as it should be. Marriage roxorz! Um...sorry, dork moment. Marriage rocks!

Stevie-weevie (yuck)

2:34 PM  
Blogger Quilled One said...

@Beaver: OOOOOOOOOOOO beatcha I win. There. Just in case.

Posted on: Thursday, November 4th, 2004, at 4:50 pm

2:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Quilled BONUS Quote:

The Quilled Matrix